4 January 2009

You either Twitter or you don't !

It's the latest fad. It's the new Facebook. It's the new Red. It's what's making the world go round these days. From Barack Obama to Jonathan Ross, from Starbucks to PepsiCo, from Journalists to PR professionals, from Antarctic circle to Arctic circle - Everyone is on it. It's the new voice of the world. It's the new universal language.

It's the new style - you either have it or you don't !!!

Twitter is proving to be a very successful PR tool. Last month, PR week reported the use of Twitter by ActionAid charity in it's campaign against Tesco and The Guardian reported Jonathan Ross discovering the wonders of twittering.Today Telegraph reported "Starbucks, Ford and PepsiCo turning to blog site Twitter for PR." And I am sure we all remember reading about Mike Wilson, a software engineer from Colorado, who found instant fame by tweeting about surviving a plane crash.

You don't need to turn on your TV or browse through newspapers to learn about the VERY latest happenings around the world. All you need to do is keep a close watch on Twitter feeds, those 140 magic characters that make or break news. And Need I mention, why did I stress on the word "very" ? If you still don't know why, read about Mike Wilson again.

Now, if you are wondering, how to use Twitter as a PR tool. Please don't stress yourself. I might have an answer for you, courtesy Corrine. I found it very informative, you might do as well. I say, definitely worth a dekko.

Please press on next button manually to go through the slides.




2 comments:

  1. Im having problems with Twitter! First I cant think of interesting things to post. Tweets have to add value (ie include links and such), or noone will want to follow you! Usually once ive seen a link its already been around the internet 5 times!

    My other problem is that I have only found a couple of people worth following, and even when i find someone who tweets good music or good blogs, I get a load of excess info about their lives that I really dont want!

    But I did find someone tweeting about my music blog, which made me happy, and I've been linked to some cool stuff so its not all bad. There should be more ways of categorising ones tweets though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had very similar thoughts to yours when I first started using Twitter which was not very long ago. When I realised, Tweeting is all about reading other people's status updates or them reading yours, my immediate reaction was - Is that it?? Next please!!

    But I have to admit that now it is sort of growing on me. I have found some useful information through certain links and it's also entertaining to read the updates of the likes of Jonathan Ross & Charlestrippy.
    I guess like any other social networking site, it has its pros and cons. I say, no harm in trying them and see how can you use it to your advantage. It doesn't cost you a penny to use them after all

    ReplyDelete