9 January 2009

Review of an ebook



I am a sucker for latest happenings, knowledge, information, news (Call it whatever you like).That does not mean that I am the most well informed person on this planet (well not as yet), but if something interests me then I go to any lengths of finding more about the subject. And when I hear people around me talk about it and if they know more about it than I do, it bothers me. In a good way, of course. I am not suggesting that I go into a frenzy like a lunatic. Definitely not! But it persuades me to get more information and learn more and empower myself with more knowledge.

Any way, In my quest to learn more about this latest Viral phenomenon, I started reading David Meerman Scott's blog and was lead to his new ebook "The new rules of Viral Marketing: How word-of-mouse spreads your ideas for free." I immediately took to the title of the book and at the risk of sounding too melodramatic, might I say that I had this undying urge to read it straight away. To my surprise and Big Thanks to Mr Scott, the ebook can be downloaded for free from here.

DMS (David Meerman Scott) talks about the power of mouse in his book. He talks about the ways one can reach the consumers directly through viral techniques on the web. The book shares some good examples of success stories of different people such as Cindy Gordon of Universal Orlando Resort and how Viral marketing helped them make millions of bucks. The ways to use e books or YouTube videos for marketing or PR are the main highlights of the book. The concepts and techniques are explained in an easy to understand language and the content is interesting to read.

DMS leads you through the need, ideas and scope of Viral Marketing to the fact that not everything is guaranteed to go Viral. I particularly liked the insight from Chris Greendale, a general partner at Kodiak Venture Partners that DMS has shared in his book about the viral marketing Bell Curve.

The other interesting take away from the ebook is Hubspot. He defines Hubspot as "A provider used by small businesses to leverage search engines, get found by more prospects, and then convert a higher number of prospects into customers." The benefit of using Hubspot is outlined as tremendous value in learning how successful their site is at attracting visitors. I say, very beneficial.

The scope of PR or marketing through Viral tools is humongous if its done in the right way. Plus luck plays a very important role too, like in any other gamble of life. But, at the end of the day, it's free advertising, inexpensive, expands exponentially etc etc. All you need to begin with is time and creative ideas. And like DMS says in his ebook "What do you have to lose?". Really!




No comments:

Post a Comment