25 January 2009

Traditional versus New

Ever since I started studying my course (MA, Public Relations), I have been hearing about the way New media PR methodology is taking over Traditional one. But like they say, just hearing or practicing won't make you a thorough professional. Reading is the key. So I decided to read David Meerman Scott's book, The New Rules of Marketing & PR (published by John Wiley & Sons, 2007; 287 pages).
The objective of reading this book were simple - a) I am very keen to learn about new rules of PR using New media tools and b) I have to submit a book review as a part of my course assignment. So what better way but to start from here.



The book talks about reaching the consumers directly through the usage of new media channels rather than the traditional approach of advertising or press.The smaller picture that you get from the book is that traditional media probably does not work anymore. It's the day and age of New Media. It's the day and age of web power. The bigger picture that the author paints shows you the colours and strokes and the techniques of using new media as a powerful medium. The author is very vocal about this point and emphasizes that we (read PR practitioners) need not spend tens of thousands of dollars (or pounds) every month on media relations program aimed at a few journalists to cover us. Instead, we should be targeting the bloggers, online news sites, micro publications, public speakers, analysts etc to reach the target audience that are looking for what we have to offer. But he does not leave you there. The author guides you through the essentials of blogging, how can we use new releases, social networking sites, search engine optimisation, how to create effective virals. It's a great learning ground for students like me who are going through the learning curve.


The author makes a strong point that one has the power to reach consumers directly by passing the media filter. It seems that the trend is being followed by many companies and they seem to be certainly increasing their profits. The real life examples/ case studies provided are very informative and encouraging. But that also got me thinking that it can probably be said that this is the new way of attracting customers, generating interest and increasing profitability but Is it the only way? Probably not. There are still consumers in every nook and corner of the world like rural areas of India and China who are not online or people of the older generation in the UK or US, who would rather read the newspaper or watch tele to find out about different products and services. Does switching to new media completely not make us lose out on reaching these masses?

The other point that caught my attention was that the author states that Marketing and PR have a very blurred to non existent line between them on the web. Does that mean marketing and PR are merging? Alarming!

I leave you with this to ponder over...... because it certainly got me thinking.

But before I go away, I would like to add that this book is highly recommended especially if you are looking for a guide to learn about the benefits of using new media tools in your profession - PR or Marketing.

2 comments:

  1. Subhir

    Yes, marketing & PR are blurring. Thanks for this review. I appreciate it.

    So what is this for me as the author? Is it marketing for my book (YES). Is it PR for my book (YES). Where is the distinction?

    Your professor should give you a good grade on this assignment because this is a very thoughtful review.

    Cheers - David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mr. Scott for your valuable feedback. And I sincerely hope my professor agrees with you about giving me a good grade.

    ReplyDelete